104 West Street
P.O. Box 551
Annapolis, Maryland 21404-0551
Phone: (410) 263-5900 x1110
Fax: (410) 280-2230
Ms. Mitchell is a shareholder with the Firm. Prior to joining Wharton Levin Ehrmantraut & Klein, Ms. Mitchell was a law clerk for the Honorable Lynne A. Battaglia of the Court of Appeals of Maryland for approximately two years. Her current practice concentrates on medical malpractice defense, appellate litigation, product liability defense, and complex multidistrict litigation. Ms. Mitchell has successfully defended local physicians, hospitals and health care institutions at the trial and appellate level in cases alleging medical negligence. Her litigation experience includes all phases of fact and expert discovery, motions practice, defending and deposing expert witnesses, bench and jury trials, and appeals before both the Court of Special Appeals and Court of Appeals of Maryland. Ms. Mitchell is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Appellate Division. She has briefed and argued several appellate cases resulting in pivotal decisions by the Court of Appeals in medical malpractice law, including Dehn v. Edgecombe, 384 Md. 606 (2005); Medical Mutual Liability Insurance Society of Maryland v. Goldstein, 388 Md. 299 (2005); Rodriguez v. Clarke, 400 Md. 39 (2007); Carroll v. Konits, 400 Md. 167 (2007); Neustadter v. Holy Cross Hospital, 418 Md. 231 (2011); Mercy Medical Center v. Julian, 429 Md. 328 (2012); Shannon v. Fusco, 438 Md. 24 (2014); Wilcox v. Orellane, 443 Md. 177 (2015); and Spangler v. McQuitty, 449 Md. 33 (2016). Ms. Mitchell has been voted a Maryland Super Lawyer by her peers.
Ms. Mitchell graduated in 2001 with a Juris Doctorate from the University of Maryland School of Law and a Masters in Public Policy from the University of Maryland School of Public Affairs. While in law school, Ms. Mitchell was an Articles Editor for the Maryland Law Review and a member of the National Environmental Law Moot Court team. She attended the United States Naval Academy and the University of Maryland for her undergraduate education, graduating with a B.A. in Political Science in 1996.
Ms. Mitchell is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, Anne Arundel County Bar Association, and a prior member of Maryland's Commission on Professionalism. She was also a member of the Maryland Women-In-Law Editorial Committee and a contributing author to Finding Justice: A History of Women Lawyers in Maryland since 1642. Ms. Mitchell is a member of the bars of the United States Supreme Court, The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, the State of Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
- Maryland, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2006
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2018
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 2001 J.D.
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, 2001 M.P.M.
- Masters in Public Policy
- University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, 1996 B.A. Major: Political Science
- United States Naval Academy, 1996
Honors and Awards:
Maryland Super Lawyer, 2017 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association
- Women In Law, Editorial Committee
- Maryland's Commission on Professionalism
- Court Appointed Special Advocates
Past Employment Positions:
- Hon. Lynne A. Battaglia, Court of Appeals, Maryland,
- Judicial Clerk, 2001 - 2002