104 West Street
P.O. Box 551
Annapolis, Maryland 21404-0551
Phone: (410) 263-5900 x1102
Fax: (410) 280-2230
Mr. Costello is a shareholder in the Firm who practices primarily in the area of medical and professional malpractice defense. He has extensive experience in the defense of health care providers and hospitals throughout the State and Federal Courts of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Northern Virginia. He lectures regularly to physician groups and hospitals on issues involving professional liability, risk management, and claims avoidance.
The D.C. Defense Lawyers' Association named Mr. Costello "Lawyer of the Year" in 2017.
After graduating with honors from the University of Maryland in 1987, Mr. Costello attended the University of Maryland School of Law, where he obtained his JD Degree, with honor, in 1990. He thereafter clerked for the Honorable Theodore G. Bloom of the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland (now the Appellate Court of Maryland). Following his clerkship, Mr. Costello joined Wharton Levin Ehrmantraut & Klein as an associate and was named a shareholder in 1998.
Mr. Costello is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal Courts of Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Virginia. He is also admitted to the Bars of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Mr. Costello is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, the American Academy of Medical Experts (Justice Fellow), the Maryland State Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar, the District of Columbia Defense Lawyers Association, the Virginia State Bar, and the Anne Arundel County Bar. He is also a member of the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, Peer Review Committee.
Mr. Costello is AV® Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell.
- Virginia, 1997
- Maryland, 1990
- District of Columbia, 1991
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1991
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit, 1997
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 1990 Honors: With Honors
- University of Maryland, 1987 B.A. Honors: Cum Laude
Honors and Awards:
- Best Lawyers in America (2012 - present)
- America's Most Honored Lawyers, Top 1%, American Registry (2015-present)
- Lawyer of the Year, 2017 (District of Columbia Defense Lawyers' Association)
- Author, "The Impact of the Constitution on the Anti-Terrorism Act of 1987", 13 Md. Journal Int'l. Law and Trade 331, 1989
- Co-Author, "Health Claims Arbitration in Maryland-The Defense Perspective", Maryland Bar Journal, Vol. XXIX, No. 6, 1996
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Academy of Medical Experts (Justice Fellow)
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Anne Arundel County Bar Association
- The District of Columbia Bar
- District of Columbia Defense Lawyers' Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, Peer Review Committee, January 1, 2007 - Present