104 West Street
P.O. Box 551
Annapolis, Maryland 21404-0051
Phone: (410) 263-5900 x1111
Fax: (410) 263-6583
Ms. Wiggins is a shareholder with the Firm. Prior to joining Wharton Levin Ehrmantraut & Klein, Ms. Wiggins served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable John F. Fader, II, Circuit Court for Baltimore County (2001-2002) and the Honorable Alan M. Wilner, Court of Appeals of Maryland (2002-2003). Her current practice concentrates on the defense of medical malpractice claims and appellate practice. Ms. Wiggins represents both physicians and medical institutions and she has successfully defended her clients at both the trial and appellate levels. Her litigation experience includes all phases of fact and expert discovery, complex motions practice, bench and jury trials, and appeals before the Court of Special Appeals and Court of Appeals of Maryland, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Ms. Wiggins is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Appellate Division. Her appellate work related to medical malpractice defense includes Copsey, et al. v. Park et al., 228 Md. App. 107 (2016), aff’d by 453 Md. 141 (2017), a pivotal case for the defense in which the appellate courts held that evidence of superseding cause and the negligence of a non-party subsequent treating physician is relevant and admissible. Additionally, she has briefed and argued a number of other cases including Mack, et al. v. St. Joseph Medical Center, et al., No. 01830, September Term, 2010 (unreported), Underwood, et al. v. Holy Cross Hospital of Silver Spring, Inc., et al., No. 0075, September Term, 2012 (unreported), Wilson, et al. v. Shore Health System, Inc., et al., No. 02341, September Term, 2012 (unreported), Mullen, et al. v. Sebly, et al., No. 0388, September Term, 2013 (unreported) and Pearson, et al. v. The Estate of Robert Lee Lyles, Jr., M.D., Ph.D., et al., No. 02172, September Term, 2013 (unreported), all of which resulted in favorable outcomes for the defense. In addition to defending medical malpractice claims, Ms. Wiggins has been involved in insurance coverage litigation in which she has defended insurance clients against coverage dispute claims. As counsel of record, this work included briefing Moscarillo v. Professional Risk Management Services, et al., 169 Md.App. 137 (2006), aff’d by 398 Md. 529 (2007), a pivotal case related to an insurer's duty to defend.
Ms. Wiggins graduated, with honors, from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 2001. While in law school, she was a staff editor and author for the University of Baltimore Law Forum. She attended Villa Julie College for her undergraduate education and in 1997 graduated, summa cum laude, with a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Paralegal Studies.
Ms. Wiggins is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, and a member of the bars of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia, the State of Maryland, and the District of Columbia.
- Maryland, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2007
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 2006
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 2019
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia, 2019
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 2022
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, 2001 J.D. Honors: Cum Laude Law Journal: Law Forum, Staff Editor, 2000 - 2001
- Villa Julie College, Stevenson, MD, 1997 B.S. Honors: Summa Cum Laude Honors: Alpha Chi National Honor Society Honors: Dean's List Major: Paralegal Studies
- Author, "Recent Developments: Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland v. Mooney: Indefinite Suspension Is Warranted Where an Attorney Fails to Provide Competent Representation," University of Baltimore Law Forum: Vol. 31: No. 1, Article 4.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Maryland State Bar Association
Past Employment Positions:
- Hon. John F. Fader, II, Circuit Court for Baltimore County, Judicial Clerk, 2001 - 2002
- Hon. Alan M. Wilner, Court of Appeals of Maryland, Judicial Clerk, 2002 - 2003